Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pet Peeve of Mine: God's "Calling" on Our Life?

I was on my facebook today, and this girl I know through a wedding we were in together had posted a note a few days ago asking for people to sponsor her for a mission trip to East Asia. Ok, all fine and good, whatever. She goes on to talk about how two years ago, she made a commitment to do this for the year after college, and even though she really is afraid and doesn't want to anymore, she can just feel that this is what God is calling her to do, so she's going to be a good Christian and do as she's told, even though she doesn't want to. This calling on her life is just so strong and it must be what God wants for her. Right?

So I get on again today, and her status has changed to something like "If you saw the note about me going to East Asia, disregard it :) God has changed his plans!"

Ok, so call me crazy, but does God really change his plans like that? I was never really under the impression that he made plans and changed them the way we do.

I get so frutrated with things like this, cuz really, the way it looks to me, either this girl Laura is too afraid to go and she's not doing what she needs to do or she was never really being "called" to East Asia to begin with.

I feel like people use "the call of God" to justify something they're doing, to ask for money, or to make it seem like they're doing something for a bigger purpose for the rest of us. Does God ever really put "calls" on our lives like that at all? It all seems so incredibly fake to me.

Maybe I'm way off base, maybe he does do this, maybe this is what Laura felt, but really? Does he change his plans just like that? Does he really go, "Hmm, nevermind, I'll send you here instead, even though I already told you I wanted you here."

4 comments:

nic.otine said...

I have my own beliefs on "god" and things of that nature, but from all of the impressions that i got studying with christians and going to a christian church, i have to say he does change his mind. though, i'm not sure it could be phrased as that, you know? maybe it is something completely different. i mean, he tests us all the time, you know?

who's to say he wouldn't just give us a calling like that and take it away right when he knows we would do it? i don't know if you're understanding what i mean, so i'll re-phrase it. =]

He puts us through trials so that we come to him in need. He puts people in our paths so that they will help us develop a better relationship with him. He puts other people in our paths so that they will, of their own decisions or not, force us to call on him for strength.

I don't see any difference between those examples and having us feel like we have to do something because he said so, and taking it away just when he is sure that we would have done just what he asked.

Think of the story in the bible where he told that man to kill his son.

Cooper said...

Nic,

I do agree with you as well. Especially about the story of Isaac and Abraham.

I guess what I'm getting at in my post, is I feel like sometimes, Christians will say that God "called them" to do something in order to make it sound more important or to get their way. I agree with you that it does happen, but I think it's almost overused and over-emotionalized, and that bugs me. I don't know if this makes any sense, lol . . .

nic.otine said...

No, that part makes perfect sense. I know what you mean, it's like they're saying "oh, god has CALLED to me. i must do this, even though it's something i'm completely against - oh pity me! but sit back in awe of my faith!"

at least that's how i feel about that kind of stuff. i'm always like, ok stfu because you're just making yourself out to be a martyr.

nic.otine said...

blogskins.com


link me the one you want. =]